I’ll just leave this here for now and will update later
Brother and I headed down to Meremere again, for a long awaited “Joe Manji” revival day. Put on by Tarran, Nick & Brendan, from S-club. This time teaming up with Joel & Adam from C’s garage. Awesome day as usual. Good range of cars & skill level, some nice driving all round;
Managed to grab some incar from the starlet. Quite interesting to see what the hell im doing in there, from eye of the camera.
Brother also got a few shots. Not bad for first attempt on a dslr
So with the case shortened, the axles needed some attention as well. Going way back, this was how I shortened them on the first round
Why all the sparks? The case hardening, is just that. Hard. So i made the special lathe tooth above. Once through the case hardening, the end of the axle was machined down to fit together like so:
more: Continue reading
Lets get this back up to speed. Rewinding to many months back:
I finally found enough motivation to rework the diff in the starlet. Had been bugging me for years, for multiple reasons. One being the toe out on the case, not good especially on a kp starlet. The factory triangulated 4 link setup is known for being vague and giving a loose feeling. Toe out amplifies this effect. Other big reason, being the wheel fitment. When i had originally shortened the diff, it was made so the +16, 14×6.5 Equips would fit nice, without spacers. The front setup changed a lot over time, meaning it ended up with the front needing fairly aggressive offset compared to rear. yuck.
I decided to strip the case right back and start from scratch.
Then cut the case, to add a small amount of camber. As i had done on the trueno…. Continue reading
So Kris and I have both worked on this previously and now its back. Well actually its been in my garage for 6 months now waiting for a new turbo to turn up. But the turbo is finally here and things are progressing.
Click for hi res
Credit Andrew burns